Friday, April 3, 2009

Tribute to Wau on My Birthday...

 

 
Posted by Picasa


"Why were you absent for a week, Nurliza?" that question continues to haunt me until today. "My grandfather was sick, teacher", came the meek reply,as I stood up, horrified that she'd asked me this question in front of the whole class. "How is he now, is he better?" the teacher seemed relentless on embarrassing me, knowing full well that I'm not prepared to answer this question. "Yes, teacher," I nodded. With that, her attention turned to another kid, thank goodness. I don't know why I answered 'Yes' when in fact, my grandfather had actually passed away that week when I was absent from school. I was flabbergasted with myself. Is that considered a lie?

The truth was I didn't want to get into the long and short of it in front of the class. The clarification would undoubtedly leave me in tears as this is the first time in all my 10 years of living, someone I loved and adored had passed away, in front of me, and more so, on my birthday.

Yes, it was 34 years ago that we all sat around my maternal grandfather in his house in Lorong Ayer Puteh, Alor Star. My mother had whispered in my ears earlier that he was leaving us. I nodded, although I didn't really understand what that meant. I was overcome with sadness that was made worse by the overwhelming grief in the entire household. I remember holding his hand and telling him that it was my birthday. He closed his eyes and looked at me. For a moment there I prayed hard that revelation would somehow miraculously relieve him of his pain and things would be as it was before and there would be no reason for anyone to cry...

Alas, things took turn for the worse and he expired soon after. I couldn't believe that he was gone, right before my very eyes. My aunts were inconsolable and were crying hysterically. It all seemed so surreal and I wished that it wasn't true.

School holidays were never complete without a trip to my grandparent's home. We'd be excited because it would mean being with our little uncle, Ajie and most of all, be with Tok and Wau. I don't know how we got to calling him 'Wau' instead of 'Wan' but I remember that he hardly came out of his room although we would frequently be in his room, pestering him to administer 'zambark' on parts of our body bitten by mosquitoes. We'd also badger him for change to run to Mamak Karia's store or Ah Nui's store across the street to buy this and that. That is until Tok tells us to stay out of his room so he could rest.

On that day, 3rd April 1975, the grief that struck the entire household was insurmountable. Everyone was so sad and couldn't stop crying. As for my brother and me, we lost a grandfather we can call our own. The house was never the same again thereafter. Looking back, after Wau passed away, we hardly played on the second floor. One reason was because the house seemed rather gloomy without his presence and another was because of all the ghost stories we've heard from friends in the village that wandering or playing upstairs by ourselves was definitely not an option.

Join me in reciting Surah Yasin and Al Fatiha for my beloved grandfather who is kept alive by fond memories in the deep recesses of my heart.

11 comments:

Kak Teh said...

Al Fatehah and may Allah bless his soul.

Oli, it is a sad day for us. we have lost a very dear friend today. Just came back from hospital - Faisal - a dear friend died a sudden death. AL fatehah to Faisal.

anedra said...

Happy Birthday kak oli! Am so glad that you're nearer now so that we can indulge in your ayam masak hitam and sinful cheesecake!! You were always the big sis that I never had!! Love ya lots and lots.

I never knew u called him Wau. Breaks my heart that I never got to know him..

Sweet Serenity said...

Dear Mak Teh, oh no, not another death on my birthday...Our condolences

Thanks, Dena, Pak Ajie wants another clan bash next weekend @ Subang Parade. Will update the details. Suruh dia belanja, dia kata go Dutch...mahai..kedukut betoii!

Steven Krauss (@ Abd. Lateef) said...

Liza, a big Happy Birthday from the 'gang down the block.' It sure is nice having you and Cikgu as neighbors -- sharing birthdays, child-rearing stories, trips to Alamanda and the like. Who would have ever thought? Allah surely is great.

A wonderful and touching reflection about your late grandfather, may Allah bless him...

PS - Remember, don't bake any cakes today!

Maksu said...

Hi Oli, Happy Birthday. just came back from school. lots and lots of work to do. We did celebrate your birthday last month .Its not the same, right. So, see you this weekend. I'll cook ayam masak merah, ayam kicap, ayam dgn oyster sauce, ayam goreng lada with gajus, tomyam ayam, rendang ayam. Pendek kata macam-macam ayam ada for you.Jangan habark pak ajie. Love you.-Maksu

noorizeyes photoworks said...

Mak Su,

Yam, Yam, Yam saja, kam,kam,kambing xdak?

Sweet Serenity said...

Thanks a bundle, everyone for your wishes...it has certainly been an amusing day, beginning 12am with Sofi ringing in the wishes, followed by Pak's brusque rendition of the birthday song, followed by Am and Aji...thanks Mak for trying to post wishes on TV 3 news bar, although it got jammed in the process; then came wishes as far as Makkah from Mak Ngah, Kelantan from Ena, from my anak menakan(s) in Penang, Nisa, Kamil, Pak Su and friends.

Thank you dear neighbour Tipah and Lateef for the birthday cake and pie...can't wait for the triple bash in June...

As for Am and family, you're not getting away that easily by posting pix of cyber KFC...I want the kind yang boleh tokak punya...kita jumpa di KFC Queensbay two weeks from now, InshaAllah...

As for Mak Su, you're always going out on a limb for me...appreciate everything that you do...on your birthday, we'll have the same repertoire, but with ikan instead...Thank YOU!!

Kak Teh said...

Oli, oooh it was yr birthday aswell...so sorry as I have been so frantically busy. Was at the mortuary to see the body and then backt o the hosue to accompany the wife - then tahlil and more tahlils. We have to be with each other in times like this - hidup di rantauan macam ni la.

When we had the tahlil last nite i also did for Wau - i remembered yesterday for him. and of course yr birthday - sorry, just got back and we still to organise the burial for monday.

Am sure you had a wonderful day, with or without my wishes.

I love you dearly Oli, if only you know how much. You're my first niece, and nothing can change that.

Kak Liah said...

dearest Oli,as always, every day,my every prayer for the last 44years were for the very best from Allah for you.Every 3rd April,my thoughts went to the saddest moment of our life when Wau left us and I remember the note in your diary...the l0th birthday that we never celebrated. Allah loves him and for you to always remember Wau everytime you celebrate your birthday.Love... Mak

Sweet Serenity said...

Thanks, mak for your wishes...see, that's why I stopped keeping diaries because you're always reading them!!10 years from now, I'd probably be snooping around reading Syahril's diaries..hehehe

Here's to hoping and praying that deaths in our family will be few and far, far, far between because loses like this are definitely devastating.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://kfarbair.com][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/_photos/photo_big7.jpg[/img][/url]

בית מלון [url=http://www.kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] - [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/about.html]חדרים[/url] גדולים אנו מציעים שירותי אירוח מגוונים כמו כן יש במקום שירות חדרים הכולל [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/eng/index.html]סעודות רומנטיות[/url] במחירים מפתיעים אשר יוגשו ישירות לחדרכם.

לפרטים אנא גשו לאתר האינטרנט שלנו - [url=http://kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/contact.html][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/apixel.gif[/img][/url]